JUNIOR PROJECT MANAGER
An exciting opportunity to join an experienced team initially delivering scheduling support while growing a wide variety of project management skills and experience in support of public sector digital transformation programmes.
Permanent position only.
You will be…
- Someone with experience of project management approaches.
- Keen to gain project management skills in technology domain.
- A graduate with a significant numeracy component (eg maths / sciences).
- Able to thrive in an environment of uncertainty and change.
- Some familiarity with the challenges of software development / deployment.
- Someone with strong written and presentational communication skills.
- Be willing to fully engage, be supportive and take on the challenges of working cross- functionally with a wide variety of tasks.
- Able to build your own network of contacts, share your knowledge and network for mutual benefit, be a fast learner, be willing to make mistakes and get things done.
- Willing to get involved with a wide variety of tasks in support of the business.
In this role, you are likely to be working with approaches such as …
- Scheduling and Timescale Risk Analysis.
- Project Management methodologies such as Agile, Scaled Agile and Waterfall.
- Tools such as MS Project or Primavera P6.
- Project Control tools such as ProjectWorks.
Your initial responsibilities are likely to include …
- Assisting and supporting the development and maintenance of planning control structures in alignment with approved project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS).
- Assisting and supporting the development and maintenance of baseline project plans and schedules.
- Monitor and reporting of planning activities through all phases of project lifecycle.
- Preparing and providing copies and analytics of project progress and performance status reports in accordance with project reporting requirements.
- Monitoring overall project progress status, achievement of major milestones, and analysing project performance in relation to planned performance.
- Providing insight into alternative approaches to achieve goals and identification of efficiency improvements or risk reduction.
- Liaison with the technical team, commercial and sales, including third parties, to maintain awareness of project activities, their status, and their impact on
- the project schedule and manpower requirements.
You will have …
- Awareness of project management; the project lifecycle, project demand signal and project finances.
- Good organisational and record keeping skills with ability to prioritise workload and multi-task.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work with individuals at varying levels.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently and unsupervised.
- Willingness to learn and develop as part of the SVGC digital team.
- Basic understanding of project schedules, plans and resources.
- Logical thinker.
- Problem solver.
- Eye for detail.
- Demonstrable competence in MS Project, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Git-hub and Jira.
- Awareness of Agile delivery.
CULTURAL FIT CRITERIA
Seeing the Big Picture
- An ability to focus on the goals and overall intent rather than just individual tasks.
- Taking an active interest in expanding your own knowledge.
Changing and Improving
- Taking the initiative to suggest ideas for improvement of yours or others’ approaches in an appropriate way.
- Learning new procedures and seeking to exploit new technologies and helping colleagues to do the same.
Making Effective Decisions
- An ability to speak with relevant people in order to obtain the most accurate information and seek advice when unable to proceed.
- Monitor and store critical data securely and accurately, confidentially and responsibly.
Leading and Communicating
- Listen to, understand, respect and accept the value of different views, ideas and ways of working.
- Put forward your own ideas in a clear and constructive manner, choosing an appropriate communication method.
Collaborating and Partnering
- Readily identify opportunities to share knowledge, information and learning and make progress by working with others, and other organisations.
- Proactively seek others with whom collaboration would deliver benefit.
Building Capability for All
- Take responsibility for quality of your own work and seek opportunities for improvement through continuous improvement.
- Take account of the diverse contributions of team members.
Achieving Commercial Outcomes
- Recognise factors which contribute to achievement of commercial outcome and proactively support them.
- Gather and use evidence to assess the costs, benefits and risks of a range of delivery options.
Delivering value for money
- Understand that all actions have a cost and choose the most effective way to do something in a resource efficient way.
- Handle numbers confidently, collating information ensuring accuracy of data.
Managing a Quality Service
- Work with team to set priorities, create clear plans and manage own work to meet the needs of the delivery teams.
- Communicate in a way which meets and anticipates the customer’s requirements and promotes an effective view of SVGC.
SOME REASONS TO JOIN SVGC
- Opportunity to play a significant part within a small business.
- Joining unique projects to learn, grow and excel, by learning on-the-job, learning from others and through formal learning.
- Work in a supportive culture with access to a wide range of people to support your development – with professional qualifications and mentoring to help you steer your career in your chosen direction.
- Be at the heart of the digital revolution in globally important organisations.
- Earn a competitive salary, with 28 days holiday plus bank holidays and the ability to design a flexible benefits package to meet your personal needs.
- SVGC is based in Wiltshire but you will be operating partly from home and partly in various locations mainly on the M4 corridor.
- SVGC provides and active approach to professional development with a centrally funded budget including full scope of EdX courses available to all our staff.
- Coaching and mentoring is provided utilising the best experience across our collaborative partnership to provide a wide range of formal and informal accelerated development.
- Entitlement to join the company Medical Insurance scheme.
- Additional Health related benefits.
- IT and Mobile Phone.
- Starting Salary (employed) SVGC B1 (£25,200 to £31,275) based on individual skills and experience.
- Entitlement to join the company Pension scheme.
- Company performance bonus scheme.
HOW CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED
- Work history review
- Triage Interview followed by 2nd interview including presentation on relevant topic
Technical criteria: 50%
Cultural criteria: 30%
Please make an initial application using the form below. You will then be contacted to request any additional information including your CV.