SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST
SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST
An exciting opportunity to join an experienced team providing senior Data Science support for significant public sector procurement.
Permanent Position only. Part-time considered.
You will be…
- Able to identify opportunities to solve problems using appropriate Data Science techniques
- Knowledgeable of key machine learning based algorithms: Supervised (Linear regression, SVM, Random Forests, Gradient Boosting and Neural Networks),
- Unsupervised (KMeans, Gaussian Mixtures) etc and the entire end to end ML pipeline.
- Experienced in deploying on cloud technologies, particularly Azure or AWS.
- Experienced in writing and deploying Advanced ML and AI approaches in production, particularly within government/defence organisations
- A strong track record in manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets using appropriate tools, e.g., Python, R, MATLAB, Apache
- OpenNLP, MongoDB, SQL, Kafka, Spark, NiFi, Java and C++ etc.
- Someone who can conceive, establish, manage, and maintain client-centred relationships with strong communication skills
- Adaptive and Flexible in your consultative style with proven persuasion and effective challenge
- Someone who recognises and respects and ideally is experienced in the need and process for public sector scrutiny of major procurement
- Be willing to fully engage, be supportive and take on the challenges of working cross- functionally with a wide variety of people.
- Able to build your own network of contacts, share your knowledge and network for mutual benefit, be a fast learner, be willing to make mistakes and get things done.
- A Thought Leader – we want you to be inspiring and in return we will offer the freedom to turn your ideas into reality.
You will have …
- Strong analytical & statistical skills
- An excellent command of the standard libraries for data science (NumPy, Pandas, Scikit- Learn, Keras/Tensorflow, etc or equivalents in other programming languages)
- Demonstrable proficiency in large scale data mapping, migration, enrichment, profiling, and querying
- Strong, demonstrable, rapid written and verbal communication skills, particularly in being able to explain complex topics to a less technical audience
- Masters (or equivalent) in numerate subjects such as, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics, or equivalent work experience
- Confident and familiar with a range of standard tools such as MS Office and visualisation / analytical environments such as PowerBI, etc.
- Strong configuration control approach and pro-active approach to documentation
- Strong client-centred stakeholder management
- The willingness and ability to gain UK Security Clearance (SC) as a minimum.
- Willingness to take managed risks and assess impact effectively
- Comfort in inviting challenge and where appropriate involving others in decision making
- The ability to act as a role model and encourage/coach and mentor others
- The ability to identify and address team or individual capability requirements and gaps to deliver current and future work
- Experience in following appropriate financial procedures to monitor contracts to ensure deliverables are achieved.
- The ability to manage suppliers contributing project components of a larger Data Science oriented Programme of work.
- Experience managing a small team
- Relevant certification (e.g., BCS in DevOps, Agile, AWS, Azure).
- Have worked on NLP problems such as Text Classification, PII detection, Sentiment Analysis, Text Summarization, Information Retrieval etc.
- Experience with standard NLP techniques such as N-grams, word embeddings and/or transformer-based systems etc.
CULTURAL FIT CRITERIA
Seeing the Big Picture
An ability to focus on the goals and overall intent rather than just individual tasks
Taking an active interest in expanding your own knowledge
– Changing and Improving
- Taking the initiative to suggest ideas for improvement of yours or others’ approaches in an appropriate way
- Learning new procedures and seeking to exploit new technologies and helping colleagues to do the same
– Making Effective Decisions
- An ability to speak with relevant people in order to obtain the most accurate information and seek advice when unable to proceed
- Monitor and store critical data securely and accurately, confidentially and responsibly
– Leading and Communicating
- Listen to, understand, respect and accept the value of different views, ideas and ways of working
- Put forward your own ideas in a clear and constructive manner, choosing an appropriate communication method
– Collaborating and Partnering
- Readily identify opportunities to share knowledge, information and learning and make progress by working with others, and other organisations
- Proactively seek others with whom collaboration would deliver benefit
– Building Capability for All
- Take responsibility for quality of your own work and seek opportunities for improvement through continuous improvement
- Take account of the diverse contributions of team members
– Achieving Commercial Outcomes
- Recognise factors which contribute to achievement of commercial outcome and proactively support them
- Gather and use evidence to assess the costs, benefits and risks of a range of delivery options
– Delivering value for money
- Understand that all actions have a cost and choose the most effective way to do something in a resource efficient way
- Handle numbers confidently, collating information ensuring accuracy of data
– Managing a Quality Service
- Work with team to set priorities, create clear plans and manage own work to meet the needs of the delivery teams
- Communicate in a way which meets and anticipates the customer’s requirements and promotes an effective view of SVGC
SOME REASONS TO JOIN SVGC
SVGC provides and active approach to professional development with a centrally funded budget including full scope of EdX courses available to all our staff. Coaching and mentoring is provided utilising the best experience across our collaborative partnership to provide a wide range of formal and informal accelerated development.
- Entitlement to join the company Medical Insurance scheme (if employed)
- Additional Health related benefits (if employed)
- IT and Mobile Phone (if employed)
- Starting Salary (employed) SVGC E1 to F2 grade (£46,588 to £67,294) based on individual skills
- Entitlement to join the company Pension scheme
- Company performance bonus scheme
HOW CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED
Work history review
Technical criteria: 50%
Cultural criteria: 30%