SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST
SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST
An exciting opportunity to join an experienced team providing senior Data Science support for significant public sector procurement.
Permanent Position only.
You will be…
- Knowledgeable of key machine learning based algorithms: Supervised (Linear regression, SVM, Random Forests, Gradient Boosting and Neural Networks), Unsupervised (KMeans, Gaussian Mixtures) etc and the entire end to end ML pipeline.
- Able to identify opportunities to help clients solve problems using appropriate Data Science techniques.
- Able to act as the company lead with a supplier community of experts in the deployment of AI solutions, particularly around NLP.
- Someone at home in both Predictive Analytics environments as ML Classifiers.
- Experienced in deploying on cloud technologies, particularly Azure or AWS.
- Experienced in writing and deploying Advanced ML and AI approaches in production, particularly within Public Sector organisations.
- A strong track record in manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets using appropriate tools, e.g., Python, R, MATLAB, Apache OpenNLP, MongoDB, SQL, Kafka, Spark, NiFi, Java and C++ etc.
- Someone who can conceive, establish, manage, and maintain client-centred relationships with strong communication skills.
- Adaptive and Flexible in your consultative style with proven persuasion and effective challenge.
- Be willing to fully engage, be supportive and take on the challenges of working cross-functionally with a wide variety of people.
- Able to build your own network of contacts, share your knowledge and network for mutual benefit, be a fast learner, be willing to make mistakes and get things done.
- A Thought Leader – we want you to be inspiring and in return we will offer the freedom to turn your ideas into reality.
You will have …
- Strong analytical & statistical skills.
- An excellent command of the standard libraries for data science (NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, Keras/Tensorflow, etc or equivalents in other programming languages).
- Demonstrable proficiency in large scale data mapping, migration, enrichment, profiling, and querying.
- Strong, demonstrable, rapid written and verbal communication skills, particularly in being able to explain complex topics to a less technical audience.
- Masters (or equivalent) in numerate subjects such as, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics, or equivalent work experience.
- Confident and familiar with a range of standard tools such as MS Office and visualisation / analytical environments such as PowerBI, etc.
- Strong configuration control approach and pro-active approach to documentation.
- Strong client-centred stakeholder management.
- The willingness and ability to gain UK Security Clearance (SC) as a minimum.
- Willingness to take managed risks and assess impact effectively.
- Comfort in inviting challenge and where appropriate involving others in decision making
- The ability to act as a role model and encourage/coach and mentor others.
- The ability to identify and address team or individual capability requirements and gaps to deliver current and future work.
- Experience in following appropriate financial procedures to monitor contracts to ensure deliverables are achieved.
- The ability to manage suppliers contributing project components of a larger Data Science oriented Programme of work.
- Experience managing a small team
- Relevant certification (e.g., BCS in DevOps, Agile, AWS, Azure).
- Have worked on NLP problems such as Text Classification, PII detection, Sentiment Analysis, Text Summarization, Information Retrieval etc.
- Experience with standard NLP techniques such as N-grams, word embeddings and/or transformer-based systems etc.
CULTURAL FIT CRITERIA
Seeing the Big Picture
- An ability to focus on the goals and overall intent rather than just individual tasks.
- Taking an active interest in expanding your own knowledge.
Changing and Improving
- Taking the initiative to suggest ideas for improvement of yours or others’ approaches in an appropriate way.
- Learning new procedures and seeking to exploit new technologies and helping colleagues to do the same.
Making Effective Decisions
- An ability to speak with relevant people in order to obtain the most accurate information and seek advice when unable to proceed.
- Monitor and store critical data securely and accurately, confidentially and responsibly.
Leading and Communicating
- Listen to, understand, respect and accept the value of different views, ideas and ways of working.
- Put forward your own ideas in a clear and constructive manner, choosing an appropriate communication method.
Collaborating and Partnering
- Readily identify opportunities to share knowledge, information and learning and make progress by working with others, and other organisations.
- Proactively seek others with whom collaboration would deliver benefit.
Building Capability for All
- Take responsibility for quality of your own work and seek opportunities for improvement through continuous improvement.
- Take account of the diverse contributions of team members.
Achieving Commercial Outcomes
- Recognise factors which contribute to achievement of commercial outcome and proactively support them.
- Gather and use evidence to assess the costs, benefits and risks of a range of delivery options.
Delivering value for money
- Understand that all actions have a cost and choose the most effective way to do something in a resource efficient way.
- Handle numbers confidently, collating information ensuring accuracy of data.
Managing a Quality Service
- Work with team to set priorities, create clear plans and manage own work to meet the needs of the delivery teams.
- Communicate in a way which meets and anticipates the customer’s requirements and promotes an effective view of SVGC.
SOME REASONS TO JOIN SVGC
- Opportunity to play a significant part within a small business.
- Joining unique projects to learn, grow and excel, by learning on-the-job, learning from others and through formal learning.
- Work in a supportive culture with access to a wide range of people to support your development – with professional qualifications and mentoring to help you steer your career in your chosen direction.
- Be at the heart of the digital revolution in globally important organisations.
- Earn a competitive salary, with 28 days holiday plus bank holidays and the ability to design a flexible benefits package to meet your personal needs.
- SVGC is based in Wiltshire but you will be operating partly from home and partly in various locations in the South of England.
- SVGC provides and active approach to professional development with a centrally funded budget including full scope of EdX courses available to all our staff.
- Coaching and mentoring is provided utilising the best experience across our collaborative partnership to provide a wide range of formal and informal accelerated development.
- Entitlement to join the company Medical Insurance scheme.
- Additional Health related benefits.
- IT and Mobile Phone.
- Starting Salary (employed) SVGC F2 to G2 grade (£60,900 to £76,125) based on individual skills
- Entitlement to join the company Pension scheme
- Company performance bonus scheme
HOW CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED
- Work history review
- Triage Interview followed by 2nd interview including presentation on relevant topic
Technical criteria: 50%
Cultural criteria: 30%
Please make an initial application using the form below. You will then be contacted to request any additional information including your CV.